Tuesday, March 30, 2010

One on One

This weekend for my fashion journalism class I had to practice my interviewing skills, or lack there of. So I chose to interview my dear friend Maya Goldenberg. Maya was the perfect candidate for this because she is one of those people who have the rare ability to throw on random pieces of clothing and make it look effortlessy chic. I also find it fasinating that I am going to school to potentially land a job that Maya managed to get via Facebook assocation. I love it, and I love her gutsyness. Maya works as a stylist on different photo shoots and has dressed a client for the recent Acadamy Awards. Her and I are a little obsessed with everything and anything related to Sex and the City, and as she mentions below, SJP is one of her favorite people. Personally, I love Patricia Field a tiny smiggen more than I do SJP. Field is the stylist for the Sex and the City show and movie's and she did a fantastic job creating those characters with their clothes. So below is my Q&A with Mayachka and an SJP shoot for Harper's Bazaar I dug up. Who is your style icon?

1. What do you think about social media (i.e. Facebook, blogs, Twitter), and how it's influencing fashion?

I think that social media is actually an amazing source for the fashion world. Take twitter for example. If one is a stylist they create a Twitter account and tweet mainly about fashion, new trends coming in and out, new fashion for a particular season, fashion exhibits etc. that will greatly help with their career. You will eventually, by word of mouth or search engines on twitter itself, gain followers and build clientele as well as a fan base which is always helpful in any field. Blogs are also excellent sources for general people or students out there that are interested in fashion to get a better sense of what's going on. I read different fashion blogs myself on the Vogue website, Marie Claire and other fashion blogs just put out there by stylists and fashionistas. It's interesting how much you can find on the web through social sites that help with my stylist job in all aspects of fashion. For instance, a personal story would be how I got my first internship just by finding stylists on Facebook and messaging them for possible internships. As I came to find out one of the first stylists I found on Facebook messaged me back and gladly offered me an internship that I enjoyed and found very helpful for my future in styling.

2. What was the most interesting thing you learned?

The most interesting thing I learned as a stylist that's starting out is that you have to be true to your vision. There will sometimes be disagreements but it's important to stay true to your art and vision of fashion when styling a client or a photo shoot. Because if you go by what others think you probably in the end won't like the outcome and it's your work that’s being represented so it’s important to be truthful to your fashion sense.

3. What did you wear? Were you comfortable?

Hmm…at my first styling gig I wore comfortable clothing although had to still remain stylish. I wore leggings with leather knew high boots, a long ruffle sweater with a leather jacket and I was comfortable yet presentable. I don't like when people come to work especially stylists wearing rags it automatically makes me not want to trust them with styling period. I believe if you're into styling you have to always yourself as a stylist be on point and love fashion for yourself as well and represent your fashion sense on yourself.

4. If you had to bring only one thing with you to your next job, what would it be?

Well that’s a difficult question, we always need a lot with us as stylists for fittings that are for instance not done in advance, but probably pins would be the one thing that I would bring with me to hide the extra material or make the outfit fit the body type that I'm working with.

5. Which job did you enjoy working on the most?

We once worked on a photo shoot where we styled a male actor and we shot on the roof and in the rain so that was definitely interesting and a fun experience. Also because I've never really styled men, only women so it was also a learning experience. It was great we worked with suits, boots, coats, scarves, gloves etc. all for menswear and all with H & M clothing which looked better actually or about the same as using let’s say Hugo Boss or Gucci for men.

6. If you had to sum up your experience in 3 words, what would they be?

Interesting, Artistic, Joyful.

7. Who is your style icon?

Hands down Sarah Jessica Parker! Love her style and everything she wears resembles what I love and what I personally wear and style with that sense as well. Of course it springs off of Carrie Bradshaw’s style from Sex and the City, but her style as an actress is amazing as well. She goes from glamour to funk to just plain all in one. She doesn't have one particular look, she plays with it and that's what fashion is about trying different things and changing it up and evolving! As far as my favorite designers it would have to be McQueen and for dresses Monique Lhuillier.

8. If you could work with anybody to style, who would it be?

Oh most definitely LADY GAGA! She's so artistic and pushes the envelope to the extreme and I'd love to work with her and collaborate on extraordinary out of this world fashion ideas! Pushing the envelope and being unique is what fashion and art is about. It opens so many new minds to new opportunities and it’s always a great outcome. Just look at how many people are influenced by her style. It’s phenomenal.


Photo of Maya taken by Charmaine Cristof/ SJP from Harper's Bazaar March 2009 (Exactly one year ago!!! Bananas!)

2 comments:

  1. I loved this interview Maya seemes like a very cool girl. Im glad you were able to make your pictures side by side...

    ReplyDelete