Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Vegas Baby

Since my first semester majoring in fashion marketing I had been looking forward to our senior year MAGIC trip. Well, it’s my senior year and thank god the trip is now over. Tuesday we arrived in Vegas trying to mentally prepare ourselves for the next day. Wednesday was show time. Free Starbucks coffee for everybody in front of the entrance to the central hall was inspiring. There were all these fashion professionals speedily pouring themselves a hot cup of jo to get them started with their day. Take note the bob haircut and boots of all kinds were all the rage. I couldn’t have asked for a better start, and we haven’t even entered the building yet. Once inside the Las Vegas Convention Center free fashion publications, such as WWD, and huge bags awaited. I took a bag for me, my mom, and one for my grandma too.

Aside from all the free drinks and goodies the best part was hearing Lilly Berelovich, president of Fashion Snoops, speak about trends and colors for fall 10/11 and spring 11. I’m excited for biker looks, “second skin” bottoms, cardigans, strong shoulders and lace. I’ve already got some black suede boots with rivets from Barney’s CO-OP, a cashmere cardigan from J-Crew, and a short lace mini from Armani Exchange. I’m not so fond of intimates as outerwear; it just screams trying too hard to me. And what do you think about those body conscious dresses? It’s like how many times can you remake the little black bondage dress? Over it.

Aside from the lectures I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out what the purpose of this trip was. If the point was to roam around and take it all in, our teacher made sure to make the experience completely un-enjoyable. There was too much work assigned to enjoy ourselves and did I mention after we were done with the Las Vegas Convention Center we had to shuttle our butts to Mandalay Bay Convention Center to continue our observations? At least we met a half nice half creepy man named Aldo on the ride back to our hotel.







1 comment: